Church of the Epiphany
Catholic Church
827 Vienna Street, San Francisco, California 94112-3831
Tel: (415) 333-7630 - FAX: (415) 333-1803

History of Church of the Epiphany



Our parish began as a mission church of Saint John the Evangelist. The church was built in 1911 and dedicated by Archbishop Riordan. The building, located on the southwest corner of Russia Avenue and Paris Street, was a wood frame building with a shingle roof. It seated about three hundred people. This church was built for people who had settled in the Crocker Amazon and Excelsior districts at a cost of $18,613.40. The first rectory was at 33 Persia Street and served as a multi-purpose center. Religious education and parish events shared space with the priests.

In 1922 Corpus Christi, up to that time an Italian National Parish, became a territorial parish. The boundaries of Saint Michael, Saint John the Evangelist and the Church of the Epiphany changed. Epiphany had outgrown the original building. The church was split in half and each section was placed on barrels and logs and pushed up the hill to Naples and Amazon Streets. The sections were set twenty-three feet apart and new construction joined the two halves. The church could now seat 480 people. In June, 1922 construction of a new rectory for the priests began on the corner of Amazon and Vienna Streets. The rectory was dedicated on January 5, 1923.

On August 16, 1938 the School of the Epiphany was opened with 239 students under the care of the Sisters of the Presentation. In 1949 construction began to expand the school to accommodate a second class for each grade and to add the convent.

The parish continued to grow. Even the expanded church could not hold the people. Architect William Schirmer, under the watchful eye of Monsignor O'Keefe, designed the plans for our present Church which was built by Cahill Construction of San Francisco. It took over a year to complete. Construction of the present Church, completed in July, 1950 has a seating capacity of 840 people. Recognizing the growing needs of youth, the old church was converted to a gymnasium.

Our parish continues to evolve. Since the early 1970's there has been a rather dramatic demographic shift in our neighborhood. Our parish was built on the faith, determination and generosity of Irish, Italian and German families, many of whom have subsequently moved to suburbs. In this demographic shift our parish has been blessed by the rich faith life of the Hispanic and Filipino families. A weekly Spanish Mass began to be celebrated in O'Keefe Hall in 1966. Because of the increase in attendance the Mass was moved to the Church at 6:30 p.m. In 1990 the Spanish Mass was moved to Sunday morning. Though our parish has gone through this shift and the new families have different names and customs, the spirit of our parish remains unchanged. We continue to grow as a family into the image of Jesus Christ.

In 1999 we averaged 3912 people at Sunday Masses. There are 3579 registered families in our parish; 623 students enrolled in our parish school; and 490 students enrolled in our School of Religion and Confirmation Programs. In 1999 we celebrated 253 Baptisms, 177 First Communions, 75 Confirmations, 44 Weddings and 149 Funerals. Over two hundred people serve our parish as liturgical ministers, catechists and coaches.

How fortunate we are to be a part of this great parish. The past and present generations' collective sacrifices, dedication and generosity have made and continue to make our parish the special family which we are.

Nuestra parroquia comenzó como una misión de la parroquia de San Juan Evangelista. Se edificó en al año 1911 y fue dedicada por el Arzobispo Riordan. El edificio, situado en la esquina sureste de la Russia Ave. y la Paris St., estaba enmarcada en madera con un tejado de tablillas. Podía acomodar a unas trescientas personas. La iglesia se edificó pensando en los habitantes de Croker Amazon y del distrito de Excelsior por un costo de $ 18,613.40. La rectoría estaba en la calle Persia número 33, y sirvió como un centro multiuso; la educación religiosa y eventos parroquiales compartían espacio con los sacerdotes.

El el día del Corpus Cristi de 1922, la que hasta entonces era una Parroquia Nacional Italiana, se convirtió en un territorio parroquial y cambiaron los límites entre San Miguel, San Juan Evangelista y la Epifanía. La Epifanía había crecido mucho. El edificio se dividió en dos mitades y cada sección se movió con barriles y maderos hacia la colina de las calles de Naples y Amazon. A las secciones separadas entre si por unos veintitrés pies las unió una nueva construcción. La iglesia podía así acomodar a 480 personas. En Junio de 1922 se comenzó la construcción de una nueva rectoría para los sacerdotes en la esquina de las calles de Amazón y Vienna, y fue dedicada el 5 de Enero de 1923.

El 16 de Agosto de 1938 se abrió la escuela de la Epifanía para 239 estudiantes bajo la dirección de la Hermanas de la Presentación. En 1948 una nueva construcción se inició para ampliar la escuela acomodando así una segunda aula por cada grado y un convento.

La parroquia siguió creciendo tanto que las ampliaciones se quedaron pequeñas de nuevo. El arquitecto William Schirmer, bajo la supervisión del Monseñor O´Keefe, diseño los planos de la iglesia actual que fué construida por la Cahill Construction de San Francisco. En un año se completó la edificación. La construcción de la iglesia actual, acabada en julio de 1950 tiene capacidad para 840 personas. Pensando en la juventud la iglesia antigua se convirtió en gimnasio.

La parroquia continua evolucionando. Desde los años de 1970 cambios dramáticos demográficos ocurrieron en los barrios adyacentes. La parroquia se edificó gracias a la fe, empeño y generosidad de las gentes y familias irlandesas, italianas y alemanas, muchas de ellas se trasladaron a otros suburbios. Con los cambios demográficos la parroquia esta ahora bendecida por la riqueza de la fe que traen los fieles hispanos y filipinos. En el O´Keef Hall se comenzó a celebrar una misa en español en el año de 1966, que al crecer en número se pasó a celebrar en la Iglesia a la 6:30 de la tarde. Posteriormente esta misa pasó a celebrarse en la mañana del Domingo. Aún cuando la parroquia experimentó tantos cambios con familias nuevas de tantos lugares y costumbres, no obstante, el espíritu se mantiene vivo, inalterable. Y así la parroquia continua creciendo como una familia que se conforma a la imagen del Señor Jesús.

En el año de 1999 una media de 3912 fieles asistían a las misas dominicales. Hay unas 3579 familias registradas en la parroquia; la escuela de la parroquia tiene 623 estudiantes enrolados; 499 estudiantes asisten a la catequesis y al programa de confirmación. En 1999 se celebraron 253 bautizos, 177 primeras comuniones, 75 confirmaciones, 44 bodas y 149 funerales. Más de 200 personas ayudan en la parroquia como ministros extraordinarios de la liturgia, catequistas y entrenadores.

Puede usted sentirse afortunado por ser parte de esta notable parroquia. Las generaciones pasadas y presente, con sus sacrificios, empeño y generosidad han hecho y continúan haciendo tan especial la familia parroquial de la Epifanía.